Re: [Xen-users] Usage of pci-attach

To: Asim <linkasim@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Usage of pci-attach
From: Yosuke Iwamatsu <y-iwamatsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:14:49 +0900
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:15:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Asim wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I'm using the pci-attach and detach correctly? I
am running Xen which has been built with CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND_PASS
enabled. When I issue the below command to test the hot plug feature
:-

Device is attached :-

[root@adsl-01 ~]# xm pci-attach 20 01:0a.0
Error: Device 0000:01:0a.00 is already connected.
Usage: xm pci-attach <Domain> <PciDev>

Create a new pass-through pci device.

This shows the pci device 01:0a.0 was already attached to your domain.

Device is detached:-
[root@adsl-01 ~]# xm pci-detach 20 01:0a.0

uh?what happenned?

If you got no error message here, you had successfully removed the pci
device from your domain. To check if the device is really hot-removed,
execute 'lspci' command inside domain 20 before and after pci-detach
and compare the results.

[root@adsl-01 ~]# xm pci-attach 20 01:0a.0
Error: Device 0 not connected
Usage: xm pci-attach <Domain> <PciDev>

Create a new pass-through pci device.

pci-attach was failed for some reason here. The information of xend.log,
dmesg in domu, dmesg in dom0 and the result of 'xenstore-ls -f' would
help us investigating the problem further.

Regards,
-- Yosuke

Am I using this correctly? If any one has used it successfully - kindly help me.

Regards,
Asim