Re: [Xen-users] Install XP on sata XEN

To: mpower@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install XP on sata XEN
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:05:50 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:06:25 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=W0zfzU3PUk2xPlfTDDGkH2q3JHhJbkuHmP2CiLTMbqA=; b=CdmgZhhajTrr6XtmEm/YFNcRUCr2BFhP8zkCtdTwf7ulJjH66JySlMwoDsVKe0yvk0 FoBnqJCRwwzF8j0Ppdn035efje4mV/8bim3nm3lhWCjhAiMoc/80N9ycIb6Gw2KQwlIu PxgptK7/CF9roGmeNMhCjdQWDbZ2hEYj98l50=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> For example right now my domU won't boot off the hard disk.  I experimented
> by removing the hard drive from the disk line.  The result was the same.  So
> now I do not know if the bios can't see my hard drive or it just can't boot
> my hard drive.  A simple list of detected sata drives would save me loads of
> time.

For HVM guests, there is quite a bit of information logged to
/var/log/xen/qemu* logs.

Do you see anything there that might help?

Also, could you post your domU config file, and as suggested by Jerry Amundson:
log file entries, stdout messages, etc? These really do help in
debugging the situation.

Also, you didn't mention your version of Xen, how it was installed,
your kernel versions etc.

A quick comment on your general comments on Xen: Xen already has a lot
of attention from
a lot of people. The distros, and other big third parties have taken
Xen under their wing and
there are a lot of really professional software on and around Xen.

I would recommend taking a look at the xen.org site, which is
currently under re-design, but
will still give you a better sense of where Xen is and, where it has
been, and where it is going.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Todd