[Xen-users] Preferred Disk Image Format / Kernel Location

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Preferred Disk Image Format / Kernel Location
From: Trevor Orsztynowicz <trevoro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:59:26 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:01:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project right now focused on Xen and I'm curious what everyones experiences / preferences are regarding the following two aspects

Preferred Disk Partition Format
and
Location of the Kernel (ie Pygrub / Kernel outside an Image)

For the disk format I've tried all sorts of approach and I can't find any specific benefits one way or the other, however I have been leaning more towards representing disk images as partition /dev/sda1. The other options of course are that I present the target as an entire drive, or as 'xvda'

The kernel location question seems more interesting to me. I've had a lot of success using pygrub within the different environments I've managed, and I personally prefer this method, but I'm interested in hearing arguments as to why this should or shouldn't be done.

Thanks for your input!

-Trevor