RE: [Xen-users] Any feedback on qaoed?

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 10:19 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >I've been investigating several options for implementing AoE on a small
> >farm.
>
> Although no help to your question, I have followed AoE and iSCSI and wonder
> what advantage AoE has over iSCSI if any and why you wouldn't use iSCSI?

A few reasons:

1 - I don't need iSCSI, this is a completely trusted network. Basic MAC
based ACL's keep oopses from happening, that's all I need.

2 - Dom-0 is going to be _tiny_, iSCSI has a rather large control plane
that resides in userspace (as it should), however I can escape this to a
degree with AoE. Dom-0 is going to be initiating and backing the targets
for the guests.

3 - Its much easier to hand over with AoE, since I need to give
instructions that any novice can follow in order to scale.

4 - The switches are good quality :)

The advantages are that AoE sends only ATA commands without the overhead
of TCP. When working on a completely trusted network .. it can be rather
practical. Since each node has 2 nics (one private), it seemed like the
best idea. I have low I/O expectations, but need to achieve high density
in regards to guests per node.

Nothing against iSCSI, AoE is just the right tool for this particular
job.

Cheers,
--Tim

--