[Xen-users] first time w/ XEN - Looking for some advise

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] first time w/ XEN - Looking for some advise
From: Charlie Reddington <charlie.reddington@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:09:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:10:32 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date:x-mailer:from; bh=pI0BgeXttEaqVt4g4DTJbpDKD9kwZ4LwcexzphtyP7Y=; b=Hrh1g7nzPwQoILkFRfMRyynK+0BhOsThkoj0BnT5YLO0WEX1cKBxdbIWGzOHFIDzjc F4rwI5tCiSXsG3ZVTwuSqgxiJQFFUicgFA8QmD2nRsgeUdGG5qZ+apQRuEsgNo88M8Ip DCBBa0Xyar8sW6DTSu1Ix8q0/s34fiy8e/Y0I=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have a server that I can use to work with XEN on. It's a dell poweredge 1950, 64 bit 2.6ghz, single quad core cpu. Has about 2 GB of ram, and 1XX GB in a raid 5 setup.

I've been reading and trying to gather what is the best way to set this up. My questions....

1.) What's the best say to setup the Raid for this? Is Raid 5 Ideal? (I have a 4 disk setup - currently 3 disks are part of the raid 5 w/ 1 being a hotspare).

2.) What is the communities take on using CentOS 5 - x86_64 for the base OS? Is there anything that the base install really needs? I generally try to shy away from installing Gnome/KDE/X on my servers as to reclaim some resources, but the idea of having a GUI to install this stuff would make things more simple I would think.

3.) I've read about having a separate LVM for the virtual machines and one for your OS. Is this really the best way? I understand the reason for the LVM, so you can add more storage as you need it, but do you really need two?

4.) My last question for now is , if your running an x86_64 system, are you limited to running only 64 bit OS's or like any machine you can still install x86 with no problems?

Thank you for any help,

Charlie