RE: [Xen-users] Xen & TC & Asterisk

To: "uxbod@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <uxbod@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen & TC & Asterisk
From: "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:30:49 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:32:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Xen-users] Xen & TC & Asterisk
> To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi,
>
> I found a document which shows how to setup TC and it appears to work
> okay.  My question is whether I should define the qdisc against peth0
> or eth0 ?  These are the commands I am using :-
>
> tc qdisc add dev peth0 root handle 1: prio priomap 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1
> 1 1 1 1 1 0
> tc qdisc add dev peth0 parent 1:1 handle 10: sfq limit 3000
> tc qdisc add dev peth0 parent 1:2 handle 20: sfq
> tc qdisc add dev peth0 parent 1:3 handle 30: sfq
> tc filter add dev peth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip dport
> 4569 0xffff flowid 1:1
> tc filter add dev peth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip sport
> 4569 0xffff flowid 1:1
> tc filter add dev peth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip dport
> 5060 0xffff flowid 1:1
> tc filter add dev peth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip sport
> 5060 0xffff flowid 1:1
>
> So the way I see it is that any traffic whos destination is a DOM-U
> will be handled by the peth0 interface (bridge), and if I had some sort
> of service on the DOM-0 I should really use eth0.  I only use DOM-0 for
> Xen management so I presume this configuration should be okay ?

Note that the qdisc configuration you have posted regulates *outbound* traffic
going onto the network. Is that what you want, because you talk about DomU
being the destination? In general it is correct to attach qdiscs to peth0 for
traffic to/from the network and eth0 only specific for Dom0 rate controlling.