Re: [Xen-users] Xen - AoE benchmarks

Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2008 22:51 schrieb Javier Guerra:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Markus Hochholdinger
> <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Because of what i read, i thought aoe should perform better than iscsi.
> > For now i will test this myself. I get the feeling that people are using
> > the technique they get first to work!?
> you're probably right. familiarity breeds contempt
> BTW, did you test different vblade servers? (vblade, kvblade,
> aoeserver, qaoed), or the optimisations mentioned int xenaoe.org ?

kvblade seems dead, qoaed looks promising but is in its early stages in my
opinion and aoeserver is the first time i hear. I will look into this.

Well, i've done optimisations like increasing network buffers and so on. But i
didn't activated any hardware related optimisation. My goal is to achive good
performance with standard hardware. I try to avoid a special kind of network
card or a special kind of switch.

The only reason i'm looking forward to use aoe is because the disconnection of
malfunctioning storage servers is better handled than with gnbd. gnbd (in "No
Cluster" mode) waits forever if the server dies and i had to write my own
programs to handle such a situation. aoe just gives i/o error, and that's
what i want.

--
greetings

eMHa