Re: [Xen-users] Xen Setup

To: Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Setup
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:35:27 -0400
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:36:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=z+VFenFXcp9TqTgarPGLGOszCNwA5p58b9GlmDeogy4=; b=D5Znry28nJB2hnxQxM1ufjBCm5f/gA5E+nyGOpbeM6841EAXD0WNFiP4/T7B0X8hfw zoHXVKx/uYm8y3oXLYcsyopL8l8XyvAi82x5CJZYkkD+ZsWwR2NKgZfNwKzUPplvCFI8 gxfon8BMAwBX5dJX57a/2nerTdWFLCJZjWmAI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>

> Thanks for your reply. I am after something that will provide more than just
> a chroot-based environment for the VPS. Virtuozzo/OpenVZ is effectively a
> chroot environment if you look at its filesystem structure.

I don't actually know the guts of OpenVZ, but implementing performance isolation
in OS level virtualization (such as openVZ, solaris zones, etc.) has
been notoriously
difficult. In Xen, the situation has been better in general.

> The CPU will have Virtualisation Technology and 64bit capability which is
> why I am exploring a full virtualisation type of setup rather than a
> chrooted one.

So do you plan to make use of unmodified guests, i.e. do you hope to support
Windows or the like?

> With a LVM partition setup, I assume I can use the LVM tools to easily
> resize a partition/filesystem to cater for more space/less space needed on a
> certain VPS?

Yes, the current state of the art requires rebooting the guest, but
this is likely
not to be the case in a general sense for long. There are probably even really
tricky ways to get online resizing of a file system to work for a guest, but it
is not generally supported yet (that I know of).

Also for a general reference on Xen, check out our "Running Xen" book.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane