Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI - options and questions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI - options and questions
From: Antibozo <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:05:00 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:05:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2008-08-04 22:02, jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have a small Xen farm of 8 dom0 servers with 64 virtual machines running
para-virtualized and this has been working great. Unfortunately, I've hit a
limit: my iSCSI hardware supports only 512 concurrent connections and so I'm
pretty much at the limit. (Wish I would have seen that problem sooner!)
[snip]
2. "Just-in-time" iSCSI connections from Xen. I found that SuSE's Xen seems to do this
with a "block-iscsi" script in /etc/xen/scripts, but it's written for 3.0 and doesn't
seem to work in 3.2. The  trick is that I'm doing all of my Xen management through the XMLRPC API
and I don't see any way to do iSCSI mounts there, so I suspect that their Xen 3.0 workaround
doesn't actually mesh with Xen 3.2's new way of doing things? (Otherwise, there would be a way to
do it through the API.)

As with the drbd problem I was having, this is a possible application for a qemu-dm wrapper.

You could try modifying the qemu-dm wrapper I wrote for drbd to do ISCSI connect/disconnect instead of the drbd-related stuff. This is encapsulated in the &setup and &cleanup subs. See the recent threads named "Centos 5.2 using LVM -> DRBD 0.82 -> Xen" and "drbd 8 primary/primary and xen migration on RHEL 5". This wrapper was written against Xen 3.0, not 3.2, so I don't know if some qemu-dm semantics have changed in a way that would break the basic design. Also, I wrote that script for HVMs and it remains untested with PVMs.

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo