[Xen-users] "Best practice" guest storage setup - iSCSI Storage, few ser

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] "Best practice" guest storage setup - iSCSI Storage, few servers, mixed usage
From: Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:44:58 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:45:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm looking for a "best practice" setup or some suggestions and comments for the following hardware and applications:

I have two HP DL 360 dual 3GHz Xenon servers with 4GB RAM and two 250GB SATA disks each and two 1GB NIC interfaces each. There is no hardwareraid controller.

Furthermore I do have an iSCSI storage with 10 SAS harddrives which is raid 5 and 6 capable. The raid 6 size is about 1 TB.

The guest should be in first place for software tests e.g. the CMS we use or a web application we develop (both LAMPs). There is only one person using the development system and the test cms right now. Later this could be two or tree users.

The other things are master and slave DNS server and DHCP. We do have about 300 Clients, so the load on the standalone servers is minimal.

After reading some of the lists discussions and browsing the web for information, I came to the conclusion, that for our setup mounting one "large" iSCSI targets each on the HP servers and using disc images for the guests is the simpelst and adequate setup.

The other idea was to split the iSCSI raid in to multiple smaler targests and use tham as devices for the guests.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards

Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner
Staatsrätin für Demographischen Wandel und für Senioren im Staatsministerium

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt