Re: [Xen-users] want to install Ubunto domU on CentOS dom0 - do I use FV

To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] want to install Ubunto domU on CentOS dom0 - do I use FV or PV?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:55:58 +0200
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:56:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Todd Deshane wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Todd Deshane wrote:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

I want to install Ubuntu (which is debian based) on top of CentOS, but
since
it's not a nativa RH based distro, I don't know which way to install it.
Do
I install it as fully virtualized , or paravirtualized ?

What is better in this case?

You can install it as either, but I would recommend as a PV guest,
since it will run faster.

There are a couple of howtos floating around on this topic, here is one of
them:

Cheers,
Todd

Unfortunately, I can't get either to work. I have setup a fully virtualized
guest, and then had to configure VNC to connect to it. On the VNC screen, I
see the following:

ISOLINUX 3.36 Debian-2007-08-30 Copyright (c) 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin

And then it just sits there, doing nothing.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

You should post more details, your config files, anything you find in
the error logs etc.

Any other version or information of that nature that could help
identify your problem.

Hopefully then someone can figure out your problem, or at least give
you some more
hints.

Cheers,
Todd
Hi Todd,

sure, here's my progress so far:

I have tried installing Ubuntu as a fully virtualized guest, but the Ubuntu CD doesn't even bootup. I get the Linux bootloader, and that's it,it doesn't continue to boot. Odd.

When trying to install a Paravirtualized guest, I had to use the debootstrap method, but can't get it to boot up.

xm create anya_zanet
Using config file "/etc/xen/anya_zanet".
Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n')

This is the /etc/xen/anya_zanet config:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img"
builder='linux'
memory = 256
name = "anya_zanet"
vcpus = 1
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/System/anya_zanet,hda1,w' ,
'phy:/dev/System/anya_zanet,hda2,w' ]
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'