RE: [Xen-users] Xen GPL PV, W2k3 SBS, Xen Net driver

To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen GPL PV, W2k3 SBS, Xen Net driver
From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:55:00 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:55:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is at the risk of getting offtopic, however...

When you're doing these restores, you're restoring the full system state,
right?  Typically, what happens is since the ID of the NIC in the restored
enviroment is different from the original NIC, the IP address information is
not restored to that device - however, there are still some traces of the
hardware in the registry (it's a ghost device).

What is essentially happening here is waiting for the domain controller to
'give up' on replicating with its peers - this can take quite a while.  My
workaround for this issue was to actually perform the restore in this way:

Install server 2003, patch to current.
Restore from system state backup.
Shutdown.
Boot from server 2003 media, perform repair install.
Patch to current.

The end result is a domain controller that is more properly configured, and not
in that weird and nonproduction state that they often end up in.  Even here,
the resulting domain controller isn't production-stock - you should still build
a fresh install, make it a DC, transfer the roles, and then retire and rebuild
the old DC - but at least it doesn't take forever to boot.  Even with the
repair and repatch, I've found it saves time - especially in a DomU where
you're booting off of an ISO.  :)

Anyways, just my experience, hope it helps!
Nathan Eisenberg