RE: [Xen-users] More CentOS 5.2 & Xen 3.2.1 Compiling Questions!

To: "Daniel Kao" <dkao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-user List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] More CentOS 5.2 & Xen 3.2.1 Compiling Questions!
From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <RWalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:27:04 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:27:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel Kao wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So I have a Intel DQ35JO board, CentOS5.2 x86_64 and I've
> tried to update Xen 3.1.2 to Xen 3.2.1 by using the method
> listed here:
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo
>
> Unfortunately, (other than the fact that xen-unstable.hg now
> points to 3.3 so I used xen-3.2-testing.hg), the kernel from
> the mercurial repository of 2.6.18 is missing some modules
> that CentOS 5.2 has for the Intel DQ35JO.  I can boot fine
> after compile & installation of the new kernel, but I'm
> missing modules that linux-2.6.18-xen.hg doesn't have which
> CentOS 5.2 kernels do have.  They are:
>
> 1. The pata_marvell module for the ATA ports.
> 2. The e1000e module (not the e1000).
> 3. The video driver for the Intel Q35 IGP.
>
> I'm currently running kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5xen and grabbed
> the SRPMS for it.
> (http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.2/updates/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.
> 18-92.1.6.el5.src.rpm)
>
> After unpacking it, the directory structure looks like this
> in the BUILD folder:
>
> kernel-2.6.18/config
> kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.x86_64
> kernel-2.6.18/vanilla
> kernel-2.6.18/xen
>
> I've grabbed xen-3.2.1.tar.gz and I'm trying to follow
> directions from the following thread:
>
> http://xen.markmail.org/message/mlo7cw7ydaj4gn6v
>
> But I'm not sure how to properly make the TARBALL of CentOS's
> Xenified kernel to feed to during the 3.2.1 compile (and the
> methods and hacks to use your own kernel source vs. Xen's),
> *and* enable the PCI-Device Backend Driver for Intel VT-d
> support.  I think once I get past that point, I'd be able to
> continue from all of the rest of the documentation.  If I'm
> successful, I'd be more than happy to create RPM's for CentOS
> 5.2 x86_64 for Xen 3.2.1 with VT-d support turned on in the kernel.

Don't use the xen kernel from xen.org just the hypervisor.

Download the 3.2 SRPM from xen.org, download the 3.2.1 tarball,
put the 3.2.1 tarball into the SOURCES directory, edit the
3.2 spec file and change the version to 3.2.1 then do an
rpmbuild of the spec.

This will produce RPMs that you can then substitute the CentOS
ones with and it won't compile the kernel just the hypervisor,
continue to use the CentOS supplied xen kernels with the
new hypervisor.

-Ross