Re: [Xen-users] Latest Xen Kernel

To: Paul Schulze <avlex@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Latest Xen Kernel
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:07:29 +0300
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 03:08:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Christopher,
>
> If you need some extended capabilities, the mainline kernel's Xen
> support won't be much help. That includes pci passthrough support
> (don't know when this'll ever be part of vanilla), but as long as you
> find the necessary patches, any kernel should work. I've found Xen
> patches for kernel 2.6.25 in the debian linux-image source package
> for example (though I haven't tried them yet, because it's a whole
> lot of work to extract the ones that are necessary) and for my IPCop
> Experimental DomU I'm using the Xen and IO delay patches from
> Ubuntu's linux-image-2.6.24-18-xen source package (this one still has
> some issues with pci_dma_xen-32.c and random crashes, but works in
> general) and I'm guessing there will be some patches for 2.6.26 in
> one distribution or another soon too. You'll need a bit of knowledge
> about how to extract the necessary stuff from those, about patching
> and building the kernel and probably about fixing some stuff by hand
> too (the Ubuntu 2.6.24 patches have issues with building a DomU-only
> kernel for example). You could always extract a precompiled kernel
> from a binary package though, but that might lead to problems with
> the system later (if some patch is missing for example).

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Linux 2.6.24 kernel contains "forward-port" of the xensource
2.6.18 xen patches, with full xen functionality.

Debian 2.6.25 Linux kernel contains the "native" pv_ops based xen support,
which is included in the upstream/vanilla kernel.org linux kernels.

pv_ops based Linux xen kernel lacks many of the features from xensource
xen kernels unfortunately.. at the moment. Linux 2.6.26 adds more features,
and more are queue for inclusion in 2.6.27. The biggest (most important)
missing
feature from pv_ops kernels is dom0 support.

More info about pv_ops xen kernels:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

-- Pasi