Re: [Xen-users] CPU Upgrade

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] CPU Upgrade
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:39:58 +0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:40:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
Hi,

I am running Xen on two old Opterons at the moment but would like to upgrade my
server so I can run more VMs.

Would you recommend that I go for Opterons again with AMD-V technology, or
would the new AMD Phenoms be okay ?  There appears to be a big price difference
between the two.

Wikipedia says Phenom X3/X4 also have AMD-V.
IMHO, it's the classic desktop-vs-server choice. Among other things, it depends on how many CPU sockets you want to use. I'd choose Opteron (not the fastest one though, they're expensive), like the 2352 for dual socket systems.

Regards,

Fajar