[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Guest memory allocation

To: xen developers community <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen users community <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Guest memory allocation
From: dinesh chandrasekaran <dinesh_chan8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 00:54:11 +0530
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:24:34 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you Milos.

In     /xen/arch/x86/mm.c I modified the following snippet.
/* First 1MB of RAM is historically marked as I/O :    for ( i = 0; i < 0x100; i++ )
share_xen_page_with_guest(mfn_to_page(i), dom_io, XENSHARE_writable);

/* Any areas not specified as RAM by the e820 map are considered I/O. */ for ( i = 0, pfn = 0; pfn < max_page; i++ )
{
while ( (i < e820.nr_map) &&
(e820.map[i].type != E820_RAM) &&
(e820.map[i].type != E820_UNUSABLE) && (e820.map[i].type != E820_MY_PCI))

Then this region will not be marked I/O and I can thereby use populate_physmap() instead of
iomem_access_permitted().
Regions other than E820_RAM, E820_UNUSABLE, E820_MY_PCI will thus belong to DOMID_IO and will require
I/O permissions to be mapped by DomUs.
Is this perspective fine?

Thanks,
Dinesh C