[Xen-users] 32/64 bit confusion

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] 32/64 bit confusion
From: Joe Auty <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 02:18:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:18:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I just discovered that the 32 bit FreeBSD works fine for me as a guest OS, but the 64 bit version doesn't. My host is a 64 bit Intel machine that supports full virt.

Does Xen support 64 bit guests? Is there any benefit to running a 64 bit guest on 64 bit hardware performance-wise, or are there bottlenecks (e.g. Xen itself not being 64 bit).

I'm debating whether KVM + 64 bit FreeBSD vs. Xen + 32 bit FreeBSD would ultimately be faster for me, or whether the difference would be negligible? I know that 64 bit does not equal faster, and my machine also doesn't have more than 4 gig of RAM, so perhaps I'm splitting hairs...

Anyone care to straighten me out? :)

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians