Re: [Xen-users] build initrd for paravirt_ops kernel in official kernel

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] build initrd for paravirt_ops kernel in official kernel tree
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:14:10 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:14:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday June 22 2008 08:36:41 am Rolf Arne Larsen wrote:
> Is it possible to build and use a initrd for the paravirt_ops kernels or do
> one have to build all modules within the kernel?

Yes and yes. initrd requires built modules from somewhere to put into the
ramdisk. If you use a distro supplied kernel, then the modules that came with
it will suffice. I find the trick to getting initrd to work without a lot
of --with's and --preload's (ie - guessing) is to run it within the domu
itself, so that initrd has the domu's viewpoint of what virtual devices are
present, even for pv domus. If you don't have the domu running yet, create it
with a kernel-xen first, then boot it and install your pvops kernel and
ramdisk.