Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP Pro SP1 installs, but no GUI/Display after a

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP Pro SP1 installs, but no GUI/Display after a reboot
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:52:08 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:52:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday June 04 2008 10:03:15 am Brian Schonecker wrote:
> I must be missing something basic here.  I'm using VNC to administer the
> dom0 so I'm not physically at the VGA console.  Could this be the problem?

Could be. Instead of using vnc to dom0 (or in addition to it), try ssh -X (X
forwarding) to your dom0, and give your xm create there, and your Windows vnc
window should pop up on your ssh client's desktop.

This assumes that your hvm config is setup right. I seem to remember you had
sdl=1/vnc=0. Try sdl=0/vnc=1/vncconsole=1/vncunused=1, or
sdl=0/vnc=1/vncconsole=1/vncunused=0/vncdisplay=n. For the vncunused=0 case,
on old xens, commenting out vncdisplay means use the domid # and add it to
5900 to get the port number vnc connects on. On new xens, vncdisplay=n means
connect on 5900+n. On dom0, you can issue an 'xm list -l domu-name', and the
vfb section will tell you what port you are using.

If you issue the vncviewer command on your ssh connection (or the config file
does it for you), and thus vncviewer is running on dom0, then the default
vnclisten="127.0.0.1" is fine. If you exit this vnc running on dom0, and want
to run a vnc client on the same desktop your ssh connection is coming from,
your vnclisten will have to be broader. (I tend to run behind the protection
of a router.)

Putting it all together, this works for my Windows hvms:

sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
#vnclisten="192.168.1.0/24"
# set VNC display number, default = domid
vncdisplay=3
# try to find an unused port for the VNC server, default = 1
vncunused=0
vncconsole=1