Re: [Xen-users] Bad experience in mounting a domU disk

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Bad experience in mounting a domU disk
From: Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:23:43 -0500
Cc: Alain Barthe <ab266061@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 05:23:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 04 June 2008, Alain Barthe wrote:
> I don't understand how a read-only mount can corrupt a filesystem. Does it
> mean that something is written on the device, even if it is read-only ? Or
> does the read-only mount disturb the regular disk activity that is mounted
> rw elsewhere ?

remember that even a r/o mount uses cache, so if somebody else (the DomU)
writes to the filesystem, the Dom0 cache will be wrong and inconsistent.
this inconsistency has been known to hang the r/o domain.

i was surprised that the FS was corrupted on disk, but i guess the Dom0
process that serves the block device to DomU have it as r/w, but doesn't know
about DomU's caches.  usually it's OK, but it might have interfered with the
r/o FS's cache, on the same Dom0.

--
Javier