Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.5 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.5 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:13:00 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 19:13:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday June 01 2008 11:16:50 pm James Harper wrote:
> Can you please try the following:
>
> . Remove all traces of xenpci from your system (delete
> c:\windows\inf\oem*, delete c:\windows\system32\drivers\xen*.sys, and
> maybe remove the services registry keys for luck too)

Mostly done. I still can't delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Xen, and
the only thing in [...]\Services\Xen* is XenShutdownMon, which I left. (There
is an Enum\PCI subkey that refers to the Xen PCI Device Driver. Should I do
something with it? There is also an Enum\ACPI subkey that refers to the PCI
Bus.) The Upper/LowerFilters were previously deleted, except for the one
referencing xenaddresource in Enum\Xen. There's nothing in Add/Remove
Programs, including anything that looks related to my previous 0.9.5
execution.

In the System Information tool (part of the Help Center), there are no *xen*
entries loaded in Software Environment -> System Drivers. I then did a search
from the top of the category view on 'xen': There are some resource
reservations for xenpci in Hardware Resources -> I/O & IRQs & Memory. (I
assume these reservations are setup from the Registry.) It does see the
xennet adapter in Components -> Network -> Adapter, tho' it says 'PNP Device
ID' is 'Not Available'. In Components -> Storage -> Problem Devices, it says
the Xen PCI Device Driver has the error code 'Failure using the VxD loader'.
Software Environment -> Services lists XenShutdownMon as Stopped. (Any
attempt to start it results in a failure notice in Event Viewer.)

Since you asked to delete the xen*.sys files, I rebooted w/ /gplpv, tho' there
still are not any System Board devices in Device Manager, including PCI Bus,
and Qemu and Realtek are still in charge. I then reran the search in the
System Information tool: no change from above.

> . Download 'debug view' from www.sysinternals.com, and run it. Make sure
> that 'capture kernel' is enabled.
> . Try installing the xenpci driver using 'update driver' from device
> manager. The drivers will be in 'C:\Program Files\Xen PV
> Drivers\drivers' if you ran the 0.9.5 installer.

Ran dbgview w/ all default options plus 'capture kernel', and ran the 0.9.6
installer. Got the same extracting, etc., messages from 'Details' as for
0.9.5, including the one about 'The device is not plugged in, cannot update
the driver.' Nothing in dbgview. The c:\Program Files\Xen PV
Drivers\drivers\*.inf files have the proper DriverVer string for 0.9.6.

The tried the 0.9.4 install.bat: 'Install Failed' for xenpci, and nothing in
dbgview. I assume this means the drivers were never even loaded.

I assume no debug output means I'm reinstalling winxp this weekend :-(