Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualizing Windows 2008?

To: "Augusto Alvarez" <augusto.alvarez82@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualizing Windows 2008?
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:42:48 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:43:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I, too, have been looking for a way to run a PV Win2k8 domU on SLES10 and haven't found it.  Hopefully they'll pop up soon...

As far as the modified drivers go, don't mistake these drivers for true PV support for an O/S - they're simply drivers for things like the network cards and block devices that accelerate performance by changing how they interact with dom0.  These drivers still do not provide true PV support for any of the Windows O/Ss.

-Nick

>>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:03 AM, "Augusto Alvarez" <augusto.alvarez82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hello everyone,

 I've been trying to enter the Xen virtualization world but I have several doubts on paravirtualization. Recently I found this link in Novell site saying that Suse Ent 10 SP1 will support paravirtualization on Windows Longhorn (asume that is referring to Windows Vista and Server 2008)... I installed that Suse version with Xen, but when I create the virtual machine, the paravirtualization comes unavailable for all Windows guests.

 Also I found that exists the Virtual Machine Driver Pack for SUSE Ent 10 SP1 to use on non-modified OS, like Windows 2003, to achieve paravirtualization on the devices installing special drivers on the guests machines. None of those drivers works on Windows 2008.

 Anyone tried paravirtualization with Windows 2008 as guest?? Is there any driver available??

 Thanks in advance!!

 Augusto

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.