Re: [Xen-users] Debian Etch as DomU on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Dom0

To: amin <amin@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian Etch as DomU on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Dom0
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 May 2008 19:32:36 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:33:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
amin <amin@xxxxxxx> writes:
> They work perfect on a Xen 3.1.0 with a 2.6.18-8 kernel compiled on my
> old motherboard.
> Not one problem. But i try to figure out how to upgrade to a newer
> hardware, and this hardware
> needs a 2.6.24 kernel (intel ich9 chipset) to work. I also switched to
> a 64-Bit Distribution of Debian / Ubuntu
> to get the 8gbyte RAM directly into Dom0.

The Dom0 and DomU need not share a kernel;  my DomU kernel is
 the debian package linux-image-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 and my Dom0 kernel is
a RHEL 5.1 kernel;  the Dom0 kernel needs to support your hardware, Any
DomU kernel that supports the same version of xen as your Dom0 should work
fine for the DomU, so there is no need, in your case, to use the bleeding
edge DomU kernels if they are causing  issues.

> My inittab looks like:
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty

when you 'xm create -c ' look for the 'Xen console' line-  mine looks
like this:

Xen virtual console successfully installed as tty1

that is the device you need to run the getty on.  (in my case, with the
Debian kernel I use, tty1.  with CentOS, it says xvc0)

> The problem is before the console loads up, or while.
> when i "xm console <domain>" i can't press enter or any key.

Yes, this is exactly the same symptoms I see when I load up a DomU without
a getty running on the right device... it scrolls the initialation stuff,
starts services, and then just hangs.  Disconnecting and reconnecting looks
like I have a hung console.  (though if you setup IP ahead of time, it's
pingable/sshable-  it's just the console that is broken)