Re: [Xen-users] A simple backup

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] A simple backup
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:12:14 +0100
Cc: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 May 2008 01:08:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > IMHO, even the best commercial SAN-based backup solution uses that
> > assumption, so for practical purposes, atomic backup for domU's storage
> > should be sufficient.
>
> So are local logical volume snapshots atomic? I could see a network
> block device not being quite atomic with lv snapshot, but it seems that
> local storage on lv should be atomic. I keep reading conflicting data
> about weather it is or is not atomic.

Local LVM snapshots are atomic, I think.  It's just that atomicity of a
snapshot is not sufficient to guarantee that the snapshot is *consistent*,
due to caching in the guest.  Yanking the power cord out of the machine
creates a consistent snapshot of its current disk state (by atomically
preventing the machine updating its disk ;-)) but that will also need a
filesystem recovery before the FS is actually readable.

Cheers,
Mark