[Xen-users] Does anyone have a working Xen to try an SCO OpenServer5.0.6

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Does anyone have a working Xen to try an SCO OpenServer5.0.6 installation on?
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 08:34:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 00:33:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=REJyntk4lXMM5KBxfny4egy7PJlIJiKiAHI3hR/jLdk=; b=mP0MP8MCQ5xSfFB378sYwA6i/8FreTbLLaNpvhnBfFXVWiu8KojzlPd4fYTBd/V8mLwA5DQg7onzJnDPkH7uYgPi8wXXrmk9cjsFuOO8b0NIoP5gR6WiFbvCmXKFk3dj7UfbNgn5cwCTn3eb8hRuM8nuNDkSkTUot5QqrmxleZk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been dealing with SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 lately, and was forced to use VMware Workstation when I couldn't get it working on Xen. That let me use it with IDE emulated drives, that avoided the whole intricate fun and games of installing compatible SCSI drivers.

But VMWare ESX, which was not what I'd wanted to deal with, got selected for use, and since it doesn't support IDE drive emulation, I was forced to go through the labor of installing SCSI drivers in the boot process. There are documents on how to do this at http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html.

But my only HVM capable box is being used for other purposes right now, and I can't spend the time with it down to test these installation procedures with a clean Xen Dom0 installation. Is anyone out there interested in testing this for me? It does take a license to install OpenServer, and they're not cheap. But even the bare bones of the installation, simply being able to read the necessary boot floppy image from OpenServer 5.0.7 and the installation CD from 5.0.6, would answer my questions. And that doesn't take a license.

I think it would be *great* to have Xen able to handle these OpenServer setups, to provide a safe multi-virtualization environment built right into RHEL, SuSE, and Fedora operating systems, rather than dealing with the rather odd and Windows-centric management tools of VMware. And that RHEL 3 based operating system of VMware ESX: it's so old that it actively interferes with development for Dom0 utilities, such as backup utilities.