Re: [Xen-users] centOS xen domU kernel

To: David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] centOS xen domU kernel
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 14:44:01 +0530
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 May 2008 02:14:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David Hláčik wrote:
Hi, how can i make actual xen kernel to work under my domU virtual machines?

When i will provide as kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen as ramdisk /boot/initrd-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen.img , it will not work becouse of error that root device does not exists. And when it is booting it is showing that raid md0 and my logical volumes does not exists - like those on dom0. I believe it is becouse of ram disk.
What is the best approach to solve this ..

Use pygrub as the boot loader to load the xenified kernel and initrd image from within the guest rather than having them loaded from dom0.

in official way? Can i use same ramdisk as for dom0, how?

You can't for paravirtualized guest since they need xennet and xenblk front end drivers in the initrd image and the initrd image for dom0 is not built with that.

or should i create a new one for xen ...

Yes, using --with=xennet --preload=xenblk

--Sadique

Thanks in advance!