Re: [Xen-users] Partition vs disk images

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:15:05 +0700:

> In RHEL 5 at least, anaconda requires the block device/file to be mapped
> as disk (e.g hda, sda) not partition (e.g. sda1). Try changing it to
> disk = [ "phy:lvm-raid/FileVolGroup,sda,w" ]

This doesn't work either. I'm just playing around with the same stuff. I
have existing xen vms on small lvm partitions (=LVs) seen by xen as xvda.
They just contain the OS and a bit of extra space. There's no problem to
create a bigger LV for the data, format it and then attach it as sda1 or so
to that existing vm and mount it under /home for instance. But the next
step to create the xen vm itself "directly" on an LV fails. I first tried a
kickstart installation that failed with missing disk sda. Then I started
manually with virt-manager, to see what actually happens. If the LV is
already formatted the installer tells me the install target is currently
mounted as a loop device and I need to reformat/reinitialize. If it is not
formatted it tells me xvda is unreadable and I have to initialize it.
There's no way avoiding using that LV as xvda disk.
How did you manage to install to an LV without using xvda?
I'm trying this on CentOS 5.1 with Xen 3.2.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany