Re: [Xen-users] tap:aio not working...

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] tap:aio not working...
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:53:13 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 May 2008 07:59:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Have also located and attached the xen-hotplug.log file.  I'm trying to figure
out how to interpret it, but if anyone sees anything obvious...

-Nick

Nick Couchman schrieb:
> I'm running SLES10 SP1 and have been using file:/ for my file-backed domUs.
> The domUs sit on a shared OCFS2 SAN-backed filesystem and are run on my three
> or four XEN servers.  I'm having issues with the loopback devices not being
> released when the domUs shutdown or migrate, so I decided to switch over to
> tap:aio for my file-backed domUs.  This isn't working, either.  Whereas the
> domUs with file: at least boot and run, the domUs with tap:aio: fail with
> this error:
>
> syslog messages are unhelpful - here's the output when I try with tap:aio:
> Apr 29 16:55:02 xen02 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 8, event-channel 38, protocol
> 1 (x86_64-abi)
> Apr 29 16:55:02 xen02 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 8, event-channel 38, protocol
> 1 (x86_64-abi)
> Apr 29 16:55:02 xen02 logger: /etc/xen/scripts/block: add
> XENBUS_PATH=backend/vbd/0/51952
> Apr 29 16:56:42 xen02 logger: /etc/xen/scripts/block: remove
> XENBUS_PATH=backend/vbd/0/51952
> Apr 29 16:56:43 xen02 logger: /etc/xen/scripts/xen-hotplug-cleanup:
> XENBUS_PATH=backend/vbd/0/51952
>
> Anyone have any hints as to what might be going on here?  Any possible
> solutions?

You should have some BLKTAPCTRL and TAPDISK lines in your
/var/log/messages which could give you some hints. If these lines are
missing you most probably don't have loaded the kernel modules (they
aren't loaded by default, IIRC) or blktapctrl isn't running.

Kevin

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.