[Xen-users] Looking for easy guide for Fedora 8 xen networking

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Looking for easy guide for Fedora 8 xen networking
From: Jason Solan <jsolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:06:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:11:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,
  I'm hoping someone on this list can help me out.  I've been using XEN
for a while now on FC6,7, RHEL 5, and gentoo.  I recently received a new
laptop that I've installed Fedora 8 on and plan to run XEN.

  From the other environments I've used, the networking "just works" for
the guest if there's only 1 nic card.  It stays on the same subnet as
the dom0 and everything works like the guest has its own network card.

  In using Fedora 8, the default networking appears to create a bridged
device and put it on a 192.168.122 subnet.  If the domU requests a DHCP
address, this nic provides it and the domU stays on the 192.168.122
subnet.  I can get out from the domU, but I can't seem to get in.  My
first thought was just to change the subnet on this bridge, so I dug
around and found the file where it was located and put in my standard
subnet.  Same result, I can get out from the domU but can't get in.
I've also noticed that if using virbr0 as the device that I pass to my
Vista domU, it recognizes a new network everytime I boot.  I have a
static MAC address in the config file, so I wouldn't expect that... but
then again this is my first time playing with Vista too so I'm not sure
if it's a product of virbr0 or just Vista being itself.

  I've searched the internet for a little bit hoping to find a simple
guide, but have only found a few posting here and there.  Most of which
seem to indicate ignoring the the network-bridge script all together and
creating my own bridge in sysconfig/network-scripts.  I'm not opposed to
doing that, but I would prefer not to.

  Basically I'm hoping someone on this list has setup Fedora 8
networking already and can provide me a little advice or point me to a
guide that I've missed.  I just want the network to work like it did in
previous releases.