RE: [Xen-users] Xen HVM images on VMware ESX

To: Diwaker Gupta <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen HVM images on VMware ESX
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:02:21 -0600
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:07:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I'm trying to convert some Xen HVM images to run on VMware ESX,
>unsuccessfully thus far. I believe the problem is that ESX by default
>wants the VMs to use SCSI virtual disks, but my HVM VMs are configured
>to use IDE virtual disks. If you have any experience with this sort of
>thing, please get in touch.

Right,
Install the drivers needed by the vmware devices into the Critical Devices
Database
and then image out and into esx. There are many options here, from manual to
automated.

Easiest for you might be to get a copy of the drivers and install them, windows
will know where to load them into the Critical Devices Database based on the
type (Mass Storage).

jlc