Re: [Xen-users] I finally got Xen working on paravirtual as well

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] I finally got Xen working on paravirtual as well
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:20:15 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 19:20:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday April 13 2008 05:47:56 pm trist007 wrote:
> I tried that but during udev it says it can't copy because it's only in a
> read-only state.  I think the filesystem is remounted shortly after during
> bootup to read and write.

Ouch, right! I forgot about that. (I've only done this on SuSE,
in /etc/init.d/boot.local, which doesn't exist on Fedora.)

You *can* mount '/' rw in that script *if* you had a clean shutdown previous
to that reboot. I've done it with '/boot'. You could try making the first
statement in /etc/sysconfig/modules/video.modules:

mount -vn -o remount,rw / || exit 1

If it fails because the volume is dirty, you exit, wait for fsck to do its
thing repairing the volume, then reboot again. The -n is necessary when
working with ro filesystems (see 'man mount'). The -v (verbose) can be
removed once you are sure it is working. Then, to preserve what Fedora thinks
should be a ro system in the next steps of the boot process, the rest of the
script *could* be:

cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
if [ -f /proc/xen/capabilities ]; then
if `grep -q "control_d" /proc/xen/capabilities`; then
  cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
fi; else
  cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/xorg.conf
fi
umount -n -o remount,ro /

Let me know if that works better for you.