RE: [Xen-users] Network Interface Options

To: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Network Interface Options
From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:15:09 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:15:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> I see that by default Xen seems to emulate a Realtek 8139 in my hvm's.
> I have a quad port Intel PCIe nic available and wondered if I
> remove the network line altogether from the config and pass
> the nic in will I have near native performance without pv drivers?

I don't think you can pass through any PCI to an HVM and have the
HVM recognize it if it doesn't have PV drivers to support the
pcifront/back handling of the device.

> Also, is it possible to pass in one of each of the 4 ports
> into 4 different hvms? I don't exactly know how the NIC
> appears to Linux as I haven't used it yet in this scenario.

Yes, each port should appear as a different PCI sub-device, much
the way USB devices appear.

-Ross