Re: [Xen-users] New Xen System for home

To: Gordon McLellan <gordonthree@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New Xen System for home
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:17:25 +0200
Cc: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:17:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gordon McLellan wrote:
The only problem... down the road, if you want to retask the box as a
single user gamer, your xeon server board will not be very
accommodating, where as the desktop board would be happy to oblige.
Although, I'd question the value of a quad core in gamer anyway ...
90% of the games out there are still single core ponies.

Gordon
Even so, either on Windows or Linux everyone will benefit more from Quad Core than from Dual Core, even if the games, and apps are single core aware. Remember something like a game often have a separate graphics engine, and you still need to run the main OS, plus sound / video / LAN / etc drivers, plus firewall, plus antivirus, etc. Yes, even games can benefit from a Quad Core, so the same system could be used as a VERY NICE game machine, it will beat any other normal game machine hands down.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com