[Xen-users] Installing problem with only a LVM logical volume as DomU pa

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Installing problem with only a LVM logical volume as DomU partition and no complete disk
From: Bas Mevissen <abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 17:09:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:10:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've created a DomU to run Fedora on a LVM logical volume. On the DomU, this LVM logical volume is a partition and not a disk, like this:

(on the Dom0)
[root@beast ~]# lvs
  LV      VG     Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%
  devel   volume -wi-ao 128.00G

[root@beast ~]# cat /etc/xen/devel.xen
(...)
disk = [ 'phy:mapper/volume-devel,sda1,w' ]
(...)

The Fedora installer will try to read the partition table of /dev/sda and fails because it doesn't exist. Creating a new partition succeeds somehow, but the installer obviously cannot write the just created partition table and fails.

I've succeeded in getting this setup to run by copying an already installed system on this partition. This seems to work fine, but there is still no /dev/sda or any sign of a disk found.

What I would have expected is to find some hard disk emulation and a /dev/sda containing a valid partition table. So then I could install the OS directly on the partition.

Can somebody shine a light on this?

Regards,

Bas.

P.S. Just in case you are wondering why I would like to do this:
I could create a disk /dev/sda on this LVM volume. But that would complicate resizing. Now, I can do that easily from the Dom0 with resize2fs and lvresize.