Re: [Xen-users] Hardware configuration?

To: Rob Greene <robgreene@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Hardware configuration?
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:21:40 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:22:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rob Greene wrote:
I've been looking around for information on how to size out a Xen machine. I don't have any experience with Xen (making this a bit harder) and my old server is 512MB, and Xen won't let me install a domU since I don't have enough RAM. :-/

Anyway, I'm looking at a MythTV, database, webserver, fileserver, workstation, abd source code repository on my home server. About 6 virtual machines is what I think I'm seeing. The most intensive one will be the MythTV server. I'm guessing 4 cores and about 4GB plus a crap load of disk. But, I'm pulling numbers out of my backside. Will I want more? Xeon vs Core2 -- will that matter? I assume I'll want 64 bit?

I haven't spotted anything to assist, but I'm sure its out there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-Rob
How many users will connect to it? What will the concurrent connections be?

Generally, 5 / 6 VM's per Core is fine, but the RAM all depends on how much RAM each VM needs. If you have 6 VM's, and each needs 512MB RAM, then you need at least 3.5GB. which will leave you with 512MB for the Xen server itself. Don't max out the RAM, try and leave some room if possible. Xeon is only really needed if you're going to put heavy load on the server, many users connecting to it at the same time doing a lot of CPU stuff

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com