Re: [Xen-users] Getting stuck just before booting Dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Getting stuck just before booting Dom0
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:46:47 +0100
Cc: Bhaskar Muppana <bhaskar.muppana@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 03:48:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

> (XEN) ******* WARNING: CONSOLE OUTPUT IS SYNCHRONOUS

Did you set console output as synchronous whilst you were trying to debug
this?  It shouldn't do this by default...

> (XEN) Xen is relinquishing VGA console.
>
> (XEN) *** Serial input -> DOM0 (type 'CTRL-a' three times to switch input
> to Xen).  <<<<<<<<<< Nothing happens after this message
>
> </logs>

What's your configuration here?

I assume you've built your own Xen rather than using a distro-provided one?
(distros usually arrange for the configuration to Just Work, which makes them
the most straightforward option for most people).

What versions of Xen / XenLinux are you using?  How did you get them?

My guess is that dom0 just isn't sending its console output to the right
place - you're probably booting OK, you just can't see it...

Are you actually logging into this system using the serial line?  Probably
dom0's console is appearing on the physical terminal but not on the serial
line :-)

Try adding console=xvc0 (or possibly just xvc, I can't remember) to your
*Linux* kernel command line in your grub config (adding it to the Xen line
won't work!).  I think this should at least get you boot output.  You'll
probably need to add "xvc0" to /etc/securetty[s ] and add a line
to /etc/inittab if you want this to actually be useful for root login.

Alternatively, if you already have a serial line setup for vanilla Linux, try
passing "xencons=ttyS" to the Linux kernel command line, which will make the
Xen console appear like a serial device (so your existing configuration
should work).

Cheers,
Mark