Re: [Xen-users] Xen3.2 documentation?

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Todd Deshane wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Todd Deshane wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi

Where can I get documentation for Xen3.2? I see the Xen site only has
for Xen 3.0
The user manual is named Xen 3.0, but it is generally up to date on
the latest stable version.
That's a bit misleading, don't you think? 3.0, 3.1 & 3.2 AFAIK has a
quite a few different features.
Yeah I think that it can be a little confusing. I don't think that a lot changes from release to release except for new features usually

Each new release has a detailed list of new features: http://xen.markmail.org/

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=xen+3.0+announce#query:xen%203.0%20announce+page:1+mid:5t64trltkw2bce65+state:results

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=xen+3.2+announce#query:xen%203.2%20announce+page:1+mid:6r2denuy6et7kluf+state:results
Are there specific things that you are looking for documentation on
that you don't feel are covered either in the manual or on the wiki?
I want to see what is different, and the manual is / would be a good
place to start. Unfortunately a lot of stuff on the wiki is outdated and
doesn't even work "as-in" in Xen 3.1.
There are probably some places where things should be clarified and worked on, but that is why it is a wiki right?

We have a book that has been release on safari online and should be printing soon. We are also working on a companion website ( http://runningxen.com/ )

Usually if you bring problems to this list, people can point you in the right direction as to where to look to find out the details.

Do you have specific things you are looking for? Do you have a need to run any specific version(s)?
Hi Todd

Thank you for the detailed information. I need to / want to run a CentOS5.1 x64 host, and then run 32bit Linux and FreeBSD, Windows guests on it. I've followed / tried to follow the examples on the Wiki with very little success, the only guest installation I've managed to get working is CentOS 5.1 x64, the 32bit versions gave me some errors to setup, so someone suggested I upgrade Xen to 3.2 (which I have no luck with either) and use some of the pre-build images on jailtime.org.

I realize 3.2 is very new / fresh, but I would really like to get this kind of setup working

Maybe if you post your woes for the guests you are having problems
with on that guest's mailing list or here guest-by-guest.
I have done that :)
The first time for each guest is non-trivial, the second and third
times is trivial.

I find that if you have hardware virtualization available that it
is best to install fully virtualized, then afterwards download
the Xen PV kernel and work from that (making sure to change
storage device names to match). Also understand how the Xen config
files are setup (look in /etc/xen at the examples) and how to
extract the managed domains config using either 'xm list -l <domain>'
or 'virsh dumpxl <domain>'.

-Ross

What do you mean by the PV kernel? Where do I get it? Do I simply install it via rpm and then reboot?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com