[Xen-users] domU's overloaded

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] domU's overloaded
From: n8&abby <thoughtobject@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:32:32 -0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:33:04 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=DPmHKvQi/4IW0pkzLrbYSmjcXt9JhLtTFKoT9LO/oP8=; b=c6Bc1+jbV3fmMHurSxbaiDYBNNAmQRlWKy9M0IZYpU5tQIsjjLa6lBBpZs9RRLmLZdRQVjMIHb2qdrqv8UX41YiNhOJx+kAhow9UqToo5XxtVxHiBKC3RrKfy31ihva7MQHQ0vXFPO+tOYhScGPCjSf8N5rjkPBrFJqpHqDtZts=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have between 35 and 40 domU's on the same box running the same
applications and each requiring moderate load.  Each have between 150
to 512 megs of ram and 50Gb disk space.  These domU's have really
become sluggish, even adding a large amount of memory helps only a
small amount.  This may be normal for a system with this many domU's,
but I'm not really sure how to tell.

Hardware is:
1U Acme 5CD16T Xeon 3000/3200 Core 2 Quad
4x SATA Drives (domU's are set up with LVM)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core 2.40GHz 8MB
8Gb Ram

The physical server is running Debian stable and Guest domains are
Ubuntu Feisty.  The VPS loads are often very high, frequently over two
and sometimes as high as 8 or 10.   Since this is only the second
physical server I have set up this way, I'm not really sure how to
tell what is possible.

The main question I have at the moment is why the dom0 is running so
well, but all the domU's are completely overloaded.  Am I guessing
correctly that this is because the dom0 is more of a controller rather
than actually being responsible for running all these domU's.  Maybe
it is just a VPS itself that has special privileges?

Secondly, I will be purchasing 2 servers this next week.  I was
wondering if anyone had suggestions about hardware for comfortably
running up to 100 domU's per server.

Thanks,
-=nathan