Re: [Xen-users] peth0: transmit timed out - xen 3.2 / 2.6.18

To: "Henri Cook" <henri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] peth0: transmit timed out - xen 3.2 / 2.6.18
From: "Ben Holt" <beanjammin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:31:25 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:32:02 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=rwbGdVZTLC04t2IiMzzqzjycEN0VtBztSiBOHKOdG/A=; b=enX6DWnukjZiNFpaTQ5M0xON+LgjRFl5aPio7D8ctDfG5NAQ0/+F6zz5/UI0k1epWPJT2tSm8WOr07CO+AKU9inPYWbeMbkbkHCzK+KrP1Yu0S6wa5d7nrY0kGNxDswGaw7PaIT3QyC2HfyctJykuuJO9ve1j0cLZziTgX7+d9E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/03/2008, Ben Holt <beanjammin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 14/03/2008, Henri Cook <henri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I have made changes so that peth0 is no longer sharing its IRQ.  I
>  will watch over the next few days and will let you know if this
>  appears to fix the problem.

Henri,

To follow-up again, it does look like, at least in my case, this is a
shared IRQ related problem.

In order to make it so that peth0 was no longer sharing an IRQ I had
to make it so that a different NIC being passed to a domU was sharing
an IRQ with an mpeg encoder being passed to a different domU.  After
doing this peth0 no longer locks up with the 'transmit timed out'
error message, instead the other NIC in the domU locks up.

I am not sure if the IRQ sharing issue is related to xen, skge (the
NIC driver), or ivtv (the mpeg encoder driver).  I will have to look
into this further and will play with apic a bit to see if I can get my
PCI cards to not share IRQs, though it looks like I will have to pull
at least one of them.

Googling has turned up only one reference (a post to this mailing
list) referring to a problem with IRQs being shared with hardware
being passed to different domUs or being shared between domO and a
domU.  If the problem I am having is xen related I would have expected
more posts on the subject.

- Ben