Re: [Xen-users] console window

To: yushang <yusunn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] console window
From: Ralf Kaestner <Ralf.Kaestner@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:34:29 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:35:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
your DomU is a HVM, which means the xm console command is not very helpful as
it is a text console and the HVM will provide a graphical console (SDL or VNC).
Offtopic: Unfortunately I did still not find a way to re-open any accidentally
closed SDL console Windows, anyone know how to do that?

You configured your HVM to use SDL which means the virtual VGA console window
should open immediately on start of the VM within you X-session as a normal
X-SDL window.
You have no X-Session? Then forward the display to another X-Server or use VNC
instead od SDL.
Does the SDL Window show up normally when you do not have the VIF line in your
HVM config file?

Other gotchas:
- you have a X-Session running but see no SDL window either? - Has you X-Server
compiled in SDL support? SDL libs installed?
- you get the SDL window but it closes again immediately. - Check the xen log,
your HVM is most likely experiencing an "early crash" and can't start up. The
log may indicate the root cause (e.g. the bridge you tried to bridge to does
not exists).

In your case, since you see it when you add the VIF line - does the bridgle
Xenbr0 exist in you system? (check with ifconfig -a)
If not create the bridge befor starting the VM, normally the xen network
scripts should create it for you on boot of the HVM - not sure why this may not
work for you, probably "hotplug" is required, do you have that running in your
Dom0? The xen logfile would give you most likely the information why your HVM
does not start, have you looked into it?

Ralf