[Xen-users] Re: restoring files to guest domains

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: restoring files to guest domains
From: Martin Leben <ml060223@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 00:10:40 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:11:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jared,

Jared wrote:
* What's the purpose of allowing write support to a snapshot if the written files are not populated on the original volume?

For some use cases this is a good feature. However, it is of no interest in your use case, as you might have guessed by now. :-)

I don't get the "benefit" of being able to write to a snapshot if the changes will be completely discarded.

The writes will not be discarded. They are written to the snapshot. (Which, in YOUR use case, will be discarded after a while.)

... Based on that, and on the bullet above, I figured there may be some "reverse" caching or something (for lack of a better term) that would flush changes written to the snapshot back to the source volume as well.

No, that is not the case.

... Since I'm working with volumes created and managed on the host, it seems reasonable to assume that there should be some way to write data to the volumes.

No, not while the guest is running. Unless you are using a file system that can handle with writes from more than one host to the same block device. I don't know of any that doesn't use some network interconnect for managing the shared access.

Good luck!

BR
/Martin Leben