Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?

To: Ndex Server <ndex.srvr@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:47:00 +0530
Cc: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 03:17:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ndex Server wrote:
/I can only get PV support (O/Ss that are AWARE they are being virtualized) in Xen./ // This is one of the things makes this absolutely the most fascinating tech topic in the industry today, imo. It seems a lot of extra effort to have to deal with OSes that are aware they're virtualized. Windows, for example, likes to self destruct under those circumstances which is why we're all here... My current reason for using Xen is to get DMA remapping support for PCIE devices with VMX enabled CPUs, so I must admit to a prejudice to urging the techology forward in favor of my own nefarious purposes o_O. Experiments with hardware virtualization have shown that VMware's Server provides the superior performance with VMX enabled platforms over Xen 3.2 but I'm hoping that the networking issues will settle down and the *issues* with the various BIOS vendors will be, uhm, rectified so VT-d support will work or... something. Meanwhile, I've been running VMware Server without VT-d because I want to be able to use unmodified guests. PV isn't really appealing to me. My chief complaint about VMware is that I'm tired of the 440BX chipset presented to the guest. It's like some bad IT job that can't be escaped. It's solid as a rock and it supports all the legacy hardware out there so 90% of the legacy x86 server farms can be run on it trivially. It just seems pointless to me to use VMware unless you really have a need for that 440BX emulator. At any rate, one solution to the problem may not be in VMwares hands but in Xen's. The inability to *host* VMware is not VMware's failure, it is Xen's.

Xen's use case is not putting VMware to work on top of it, but to make guests working on top of it. So putting vmware to work on top of xen may not be interesting for xen developers as well.

--Sadique

VMware workstation is a user space app, as is KVM. It would be Xen that is blocking VMware's access to ring 0, wouldn't it? Unless you install VMware as a module and load it in place of qemu? I'm morbidly fascinated by the problem, but you'd have to pay me to work on it my friend!! :-D ndex On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    /It supports hardware and paravirtualization./
    Only very recent versions of VMware support paravirtualization -
    this is a very new feature and, to my knowledge, only works on ESX
    3.5 right now.  Paravirtualization requires modification of the
    guest kernel - MOST VMware products do NOT require that the guest
    kernel be modified and do not run correctly with a PV guest kernel
    - unless you know something about PV support in VMware that I
    don't.  If you have found Workstation, Player, or Server to
    support (provide) PV kernels, I'd be very interested to hear how
    you got that to work - I've not heard anything about that.
/The reason to choose Xen over VMware are the same reason you'd
    choose Linux over Solaris.  Cost, support services and access to
    the open source.  /
Maybe so, for the most part, but I choose Xen over VMware due to
    performance, as well.  Since I don't have ESX 3.5 running in my
    datacenter (yet), I can only get PV support (O/Ss that are AWARE
    they are being virtualized) in Xen.
-Nick