Re: Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1, Fedora 8 and PCI passthrough

To: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1, Fedora 8 and PCI passthrough
From: Kenneth Lundström <kenneth.lundstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:48:42 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:49:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello everybody, thank you very much for your help so far.

Only config file (in Fedora 8) I´ve found is located in /var/lib/xend/domains/UUID/config.sxp

To get the NIC found in geust I added the following text

(device
   (pci
       (dev
           (domain 0)
           (bus 04)
           (slot 00)
       )
   )
)

After I have started the guest once the text i rewritten like this:
   (device
       ((uuid 8b227afe-1b04-ab6a-4071-21d53dfb4254)
           (dev (slot 00) (bus 04) (domain 0))
       )
   )

If I do a dumpxml I get the following:
<domain type='xen' id='1'>
 <name>Test</name>
 <uuid>9a795b3f-21cc-4b63-9399-c86aca5ad6ba</uuid>
 <bootloader>/usr/bin/pygrub</bootloader>
 <os>
   <type>linux</type>
 </os>
 <memory>524288</memory>
 <vcpu>1</vcpu>
 <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
 <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
 <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
 <devices>
   <interface type='bridge'>
     <source bridge='eth1'/>
     <target dev='vif1.0'/>
     <mac address='00:16:3e:60:78:57'/>
     <script path='vif-bridge'/>
   </interface>
   <disk type='file' device='disk'>
     <driver name='file'/>
     <source file='/home/xen/test.img'/>
     <target dev='xvda'/>
   </disk>
   <input type='mouse' bus='xen'/>
   <graphics type='vnc' port='5900'/>
   <console tty='/dev/pts/3'/>
 </devices>
</domain>

The interface section is as I understand wrong because the guest is now using the PCI NIC directly, not via a bridge.

If I try to shutdown the guest it never stops, in virt-manager it says Running and if i try in virsh shutdown test it says Domain test is being shutdown.

If I now restart the computer and then open virt-manager my test domain is nowhere to be found. I have to edit the config.sxp file and remove the section about the NIC. I insert my own text and then my domain is back again. Is there a way to find out what the problem might be?

Kenneth Lundström