Re: [Xen-users] network-multinet usage?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:03:50 -0500
"Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:52:17 -0500
> > "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Also remember that you should do ifconfig -a so that you actually see
> > the
> > > vethX devices.
> >
> > Tried that, don't see any different output with or without -a, also
> > explicitly tried ifconfig vethN for N in 0..9, nothing there :-);
> >
> > > The vethX devices should be created automatically by Xen according to
> > the
> > > faq [1]
> >
> > I learned to stop reading the FAQ years ago :-).
> >

> So, remind me again what versions of Xen, kernel version, base distro if
> that is relevant, etc. that you have?
>
> And also what are the key points of configs that you needed to change to get
> where you are?
>
> And finally the end goal is:
>
> "to make my VMs appear on a subnet of their very
> own and route traffic to/from them from the Dom0.
> "
> can you expand on that a little? Since it could be interpreted in a couple
> ways.
>
> Todd

I'm running debian 40r2 (etch) x86_64 with xen 3.2.1 built from the mercurial
repo (downloaded sometime near the beginning of Feb). I'm using the 2.6.18.8
kernel Xen built for me, not the debian kernel. (Incidentally the xen 3.2
seems to run much better than the previous versions of xen we tried
that were included in various distros like fedora and sles - the VMs
are much more stable with no mysterious crashes, which is part of the
reason I'm trying to do all this since xen is starting to look useful :-).

Right now I'm using the default network-bridge script, but IP addrs are
scarce in the subnet I'm in, so we've been doing this nonsense with
giving some of the VMs the same IPs and hostnames and just never booting
them at the same time. It was a good way to get started, but now I'd
like to make things convenient for users - give all the virtual machines
meaningful hostnames and unique IP addresses on a nice empty subnet just
for the virtual machines (say 192.168.88.0/24).

To also make things convenient for me, I'd like to run a DHCP server
on the debian host machine that tells the virtual machines what IP
and hostname to use when they boot.

I'd like the debian host to route all the 192.168.88.0/24 traffic to
the subnet and vice-versa so all the machines in the lab can get to
all the virtual machines and all the virtual machines can get out
to the lab. (Worst case, machines in the lab might have to run
a route command to define the debian xen host as the gateway to the VM
subnet, but hopefully we can convince the powers that be to
tell the the primary gateway machine about it, but only if we
get everything else working first). We trust everyone - not interested
in any firewall or security (yet), just want the packets to flow :-).

I'm sure this is all very simple to do with linux networking, and once
I memorize the terabyte of man pages, jargon, and linux source code,
it will be obvious just how easy it is :-).

I've tried a couple of things I thought would work, but ping remains
silent in my attempts so far. It almost seems simpler to just put
the xen host itself on a physical separate subnet and continue
to use network-bridge. At least the IT folks are familiar with hardware
subnets :-).