Re: [Xen-users] Re: Could not boot an 2.6.23 kernel as domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Could not boot an 2.6.23 kernel as domU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:10:14 +0000
Cc: Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:21:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there Gehard,

I've been writing a HOWTO on booking kernel.org Linux on Xen - it's available
here if you want to look at it:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Kernel.org_Linux_on_Xen

> Ok, i make a step further...
> Above image was a bzImage and i've found two similar threads in this
> mailing list about this.

I wans thinking that might be your problem.

> -------------
> When i try the vmlinux from my kernel build then i got at the moment:
> xc_dom_boot_xen_init: ver 3.2, caps xen-3.0-x86_32p
> xc_dom_parse_image: called
> xc_dom_find_loader: trying ELF-generic loader ... OK
> elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x0 memsz=0x1c3ba4
> elf_parse_binary: memory: 0x0 -> 0x1c3ba4
> elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Not a Xen-ELF image: No ELF notes or
> '__xen_guest' section found. xc_dom_release: called
> --------------
>
> This error i could handle. I'm sure i've enabled all xen options in
> kernel config but it's a distribution kernel with patches and so on.

So you're still having trouble booting the domain?  You're right to use the
vmlinux directly; it can also be useful to strip that kernel image so that
it's not so huge (if you haven't done so already).

That error does make it look like the kernel got built without Xen support for
some reason...  weird.

> I next build a vanilla kernel.

Did you try this?  Did it work for you?

> Is there still a technical reason why bzImage compressed kernels are not
> regognized?

Actually yes; I was surprised at this but apparently supporting bzImage is
harder than one would think.  There was an attempt to add some flags to
indicate that the bzImage is a Xen-bootable kernel.  The problem is that it's
quite difficult to add these flags in a way that doesn't break any
bootloaders :-(

Cheers,
Mark