Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.0 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.0 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows
From: "Emre ERENOGLU" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:25:50 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 03:26:28 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=nSIb6Zf7TLX9iP+vCYSbPV2vHxNVVyfwDbcPysEId8g=; b=GwPa2Bmsu7hyL8QeFGckS4TayPcAhCpFAcWdjAVam62ngwQJNgoK/v7RUBJbOzeOfLuv7fGNQby3aFx3nLEZR/m5jFgthaEDT/8IRFxWVdsAVycXfTNs4VE+nu9mSqCs1oBhwOHPoUVLp3U5lXSucKFnd8oV+T8H9dPlJHIDvXM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 21 February 2008 05:05:56 am James Harper wrote:
> . pvSCSI support (eg can pass through tape drives and cd burners,
> although I haven't tested the latter). This hasn't seen nearly as much
> testing as everything else, but I've run the tests in the HP Library &
> Tape Tools successfully, including a firmware update.

Nice. Any special syntax needed in the domain config, or dom0 grub, beyond the
standard pciback hide stuff? Do you need xen 3.2/Vt-d?

I think this shall be using paravirtual drivers, so no vt-d stuff or pciback kind of trick. James, could you confirm?

Some additional questions:
- Can we say this is "faster" than the other SCSI paravirtual driver?
- Does the driver still work if I didn't apply those patches for pvSCSI
- Does anybody know if there's any plan to merge those patches into xen-unstable? If not, why?

> I highly recommend uninstalling all trace of any previous version before
> installing this one. Particularly put the Windows PCI Bus driver back
> the way it was (eg update drivers and just click next a few times).

What's the best order to uninstall in - the reverse order of installing? That
would make it xenhide, xenstub, xennet, xenvbd, xenenum, xenpci? Everytime I
rip out xenhide, I have a massive hardware reconfiguration with the Add
Hardware Wizard on the next reboot.

I think the best is to boot with standard kernel, then remove xennet, xenenum, xenblk, xenpci and then replace xenhide with standard PCI controller, reboot again with std controller, let the system re-enumarate the devices.

--
Emre Erenoglu
erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx