Re: [Xen-users] Error: int argument required

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error: int argument required
From: Pesov Vlado <vpesov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:35:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:35:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jarkko Ypäjä wrote:
I think Pesov gave me the right direction.

I checked dev/ and there wasn't even md2, so basicly that config is totally wrong.

The problem is that I've no idea where I could find out what(sda,sda2,sdb,sdb1,md etc) to put in those settings :/
If you read xen documentation about disk parametar, it says:

Defines the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and what you want them accessible as. If using a physical device as the VMX guest's disk, each disk entry is of the form

phy:UNAME,ioemu:DEV,MODE,

where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see, and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write. ioemu means the disk will use ioemu to virtualize the VMX disk. If not adding ioemu, it uses vbd like paravirtualized guests.

If using disk image file, its form should be like

file:FILEPATH,ioemu:DEV,MODE

If using more than one disk, there should be a comma between each disk entry. For example:

disk = ['file:/var/images/image1.img,ioemu:hda,w', 'file:/var/images/image2.img,ioemu:hdb,w']

You see that you don't have to have these devices on your Dom0, those devices are sent to the host machine. I had problems about this also.
The following configuration was not working:

disk = ['file:/storage/xen/dom1/vm-base.img,ioemu:sda1,w']

I suppose because sdX devices are SCSI, SATA, devices so the the loader couldn't map them in that way. After specifying:

ramdisk = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-xen-amd64'
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader'
builder='hvm'
device_model='/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm'

The configuration with using file based virtual disk was working with hdX declaration of DEV option. Also I have read that file-based VBDs are deprecated with use of loopback driver and using blktap driver and using
tap:aio insead of file: will solve problems.
For using logical volume as disk, I had to add ioemu option. Try removing 'ro' from the declarations for the root parametar and
try adding ioemu option.

Todd's suggestion about the problem is also correct. You should specify the amount of memory in the way:

memory = 32

Regards, Vlado