[Xen-users] Domain stays in status "---s--" forever after shutdown, cons

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Domain stays in status "---s--" forever after shutdown, console is locked
From: Dominik Klein <dk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:35:11 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 00:35:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

I use Xen 3.2 on debian etch, build from source. domU is also debian etch.

I can create the domain just fine, but when I shut it down, it stays in status "---s--" forever until I use "xm destroy".

At first, I put domU on a DRBD disk with the block-drbd script, but I also tried with a file-backed domU, which results in the same problem.

The logs do not show any errors. Or at least I cannot see anything that looks like an error.

Here's what I see if I shutdown the domain from a console:

debian dktestvmxen:~# halt
Broadcast message from root@dktestvmxen (tty1) (Mon Feb 11 08:32:34 2008):
The system is going down for system halt NOW!
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 0
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
Stopping periodic command scheduler: crond.
Stopping internet superserver: inetd.
Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Stopping kernel log daemon: klogd.
Stopping system log daemon: syslogd.
Asking all remaining processes to terminate...done.
Killing all remaining processes...done.
Deconfiguring network interfaces...done.
Cleaning up ifupdown....
Deactivating swap...done.
Will now halt.
md: stopping all md devices.
xenbus_dev_shutdown: device/console/0: Initialising != Connected, skipping
System halted.

At this point, the console is locked. If I quit the console with CTRL+5 and use "xm list", I see

# xm list
Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s) Domain-0 0 256 1 r----- 37627.4 dktestvmxen 1 256 1 ---s-- 4.8

Here's my domU config file:

kernel='/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen'
ramdisk='/boot/initrd-2.6.18.8-xen.img'
disk = [ 'file:/dktestvmxen.img,hda1,w' ]
memory = 256
maxmem = 512
builder = 'linux'
name = 'dktestvmxen'
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:13:71:7b,bridge=eth1' ]
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
root = '/dev/hda1'
extra='TERM=xterm xencons=tty console=tty1'

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Dominik