Re: [Xen-users] Emulating Multiple NIC cards on Guests

Augusto Castelan Carlson wrote:
I was not clear enough in my question...

    > In the case where I create 2 bridges how should I assign IP
    addresses
    > to the host interfaces,

    Through /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 in RHEL and its
    variants. Not sure about other distros.

I  know how to  assign address through ifcfg :-D

    > as I want to have the host an both guests in the same network?

    Why this is an issue while the bridge acts like a virtual switch and
    eth0 in dom0 acts like a virtual uplink?

My doubt is: I will assign an IP address to the host eth0 and one IP address for each guest. I do not need to give an IP address to eth1 as it will act like a virtual switch, isn't?

You don't necessarily require to assign an ip address to eth1 or even bring it up in dom0 if that is only used for network traffic to guests and not required to communicate to dom0. But the default behavior of network-bridge script is to bring it up automatically through do_ifup() in op_start ().

What I usually do is I would copy the network-bridge to network-bridge-noifup and comment out do_ifup () calls in op_start() and op_stop() in network-bridge-noifup.

Then configure my xend-config.sxp as below

(network-script network-bridge-custom)

Then I would configure netowrk-bridge-custom as below

#!/bin/bash
/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge $1 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0 vifnum=0
/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge-noifup $1 netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1 vifnum=1

Hope this clears things.

--Sadique

Thanks,

Augusto