Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 - HVM PCI passthrough: Is it Intel only?

To: Age_M <Age_M@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 - HVM PCI passthrough: Is it Intel only?
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 01:16:11 +0100 (CET)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:30:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Age_M wrote:

> after anouncing Xen 3.2 and PCI-passthrough feature for HVM-domU's, I've been
> really eger to test it. Now I am a bit disappointed, because I have an AMD-X2
> CPU and got a message that Intel VT-d is needed.
> So, can you guys confirm that this is an Intel only feature??

I'm not sure how well HVM PCI-passthrough works with Xen 3.2 and how
useful or functional it is. Keir Fraser states that it's "Basic code" but
"pieces are still missing":

        http://xen.org/files/xensummit_fall07/02_KeirFraser.pdf

I think it's Intel VT-d only as AMD's IOMMU platform will not be available
before 2009.

Best regards, Mark

--
Mark Weinem